subscribe

Torn No More: Metropolitan Opera and Peter Gelb End Contract Negotiations and Avoid Lockout, Season Starts September 22

By Ian Holubiak i.holubiak@classicalite.com on Aug 22, 2014 12:20 PM EDT

And thus, the strife is o'er for the Metropolitan Opera. After weeks of back-breaking negotiations, all parties can look forward to the forthcoming season, as Peter Gelb & Co. have finally ended the renewal process.

The cease fire was announced earlier this week by Allison Beck, deputy director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, which voided its threat of calling for a lockout if a decision could not be reached, according to the New York Times.

The September 22 opening date should arrive as planned with a new Richard Eyre production of Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro, conducted by famed music director James Levine.

Tino Gagliardi, president of Local 802, said in a statement: "After many hours of deliberation, today we have reached a tentative agreement which is subject to the approval of Local 802's executive board and ratification by the Met Orchestra Musicians."

Full details of the new terms were not released to the general public, but Matthew Loeb, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, said the deal includes cost reductions from management and an independent monitor to tack the spending budget.

Regardless, the biggest opera house in the world can breathe a sigh of relief--its most vicious contract renewal negotiations in its history have found an end.

In light of this great news, let's gear up, apropos, with some Mozart.

About the Author

© 2016 The Classical Art, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

TagsThe Metropolitan Opera, Allison Beck, Local 802, Peter Gelb, The New York Times, Matthew Loeb

Real Time Analytics