'Sexiest Man Alive' Channing Tatum Taking A Break From Acting
People's magazine "Sexiest Man Alive," Channing Tatum announced on Wednesday that he will be taking a break from acting, focusing on his directing skills.
Eonline.com reported that the popular actor will be going behind the camera, along with production partner Reid Carolin, to undertake some directing roles in the biz.
"[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper," Tatum told EW. "By the end of next year, we're going to shut things down and write the first thing that we're going to direct. We're going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let's take a few and really get caring about that section of our career."
Tatum said that he won't walk away from acting immediately because he has a few projects in the works. He confirmed that he will be a part of a sequel of the film "Magic Mike" and also said that he has been touted to play Evel Knievel in a Columbia Pictures biopic that he will produce with Carolin, who wrote the script.
"I love the steps that I've taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration," he said. "But I don't want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities."
The actor has at least four movies slated for 2013 where he is in front the camera including Steven Soderbergh's "Side Effects" and Bennet Miller's drama "Foxcatcher". Tatum is taking in all he can from Soderbergh before he makes the plunge into directing.
"I don't think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [assistant director] Greg Jacobs," he said. "It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done."
Tatum was named the "Sexiest Man Alive," by People magazine earlier in the year.